LBL - Liege Bastogne Liege
A true classic race in a very historic region of Europe known to some circles as the Ardennes Classic. What makes it such a true classic? Belgian style tough guy racing over 260 km of the toughest Ardennes Forest terrain on a general course of racing thats been around since 1892!. 4 very talented riders including Valverde, Rebellin (not a favorite of mine), and both Andy and Frank Schleck motored away from the field after 260km of leg ripping climbing on narrow undulating roads. For those who know Valverde, one should never try to tow him to the line on an uphill sprint. This guy is truly an amazing rider and one that I would call naturally gifted. Read all about it: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/apr08/lbl08/?id=resultsI'm offering a free belgian ale to anyone who can answer the following trivia first:
Who is the first American to win LBL?
What is the name of the significant event that took place in this region during WWII?
Tour of Georgia
Our adopted Team High Road pulled of the race win and two of the final stages. Without a doubt, very mature strategy is the reason for the overall victory and they made some text book moves to seal the deal. You need to read about stage 6 and 7 to see the unexpected reverse of the expected outcome. Read all about it: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/apr08/georgia08/?id=results/georgia087I believe this young Sivtsov has a tour future... Popping Levi and others of his wheel is a real deal on the Brass Town Bald! Velo news also has some great race coverage. Kudos to Slipstream as well. They did a great job but lost it in the end. Two american teams at the top!
We are generally at the end of the classic season so we can enjoy the short tour build ups and the Giro and many more are just around the corner. Stay posted. Pardon the formatting flaws since I am still learning...
3 comments:
Tyler Hamilton.
Nice call Levi... Tyler H. is the only American winner right? Nice reporting Jeff! I followed T of G all week and was pretty surprised that Lowe and Leipheimer let him go with what 500 meters left?? It was almost like they didn't know where this guy stood on GC and he just stole the race?? LBL was a great race today, I caught it on Versus this afternoon. I was pulling for the Schleck brothers, I've liked watching Frank S. ever since he blew away the competition at L' Alpe-d'Huez. I think Jeff should be called "Euro"
watched the coverage last night on VS. Watching the Shleck brothers roll out at the end has to be one of the best examples of a team I have seen in a long time. Very sweet! It's on the DVR if anyone wants to see it!
Post a Comment