About mile 37 or so I thought we were somewhat cruising home. The major efforts were done...so I thought. We had a pretty good pace going down the backside of the hills and started to ride single file, but not quite a pace line. Coach was hammering. I proceeded to take what I thought was my turn and as I did I see this shadow getting larger and larger behind me.
This shadow was not bouncing but gliding. And as it approached, it started attacking my own shadow. And then it overcame me and my shadow. So now I know about shadows when riding. Maybe you all already knew this and I have been hiding under a rock. Whatever the case, I like "shadow boxing"...especially when it leads to the real thing...which it did!
Jens came out of his shell and uncorked a few good ones during the ride. I tried to respond but he popped me good and hard. Jens - thanks for taking me out behind the shed for a whoopin'. I think my knees have something to do with that. Doc Jens, Do you give credits?
So many rides to recap from the weekend. Rabbit, Levi, Hobbit - where are your ride reports?
Two closing comments: 1.) Going to look for surf does not excuse you from a hard ride. 2.) Besides shadows, what are you fleeing from?
2 comments:
Lets bring a little clarity to the looking for surf comment. Hobbit and Levi had already done two hard rides on Thursday before the rest of the crew arrived. Then road hard the next day.(Hobbit even went for a night ride that night!) A pass on the the last ride and a surf attempt was well justified. (In the end we came back and rode again anyways!)
What am I fleeing from....riding myself into the ground would be one thing I guess?
Just want to say the weekend in my book was a great success. Our time together both on and off the bikes was sweet. The ride Sat with Doc was nice. We separated on the climb but regrouped at the top. Kept a very respectable pace on the back side after the fun descent into Westlake. Had a nice push back to the coast and cruised home along the coast enjoying the ocean views. Sunday ride was great. Had a chance to ride with Coach for the first time and saw his smooth riding style. Little wasted effort. Torque definately took the Mulholland climb and showed some mercy to the old man. Coach led the way on the descent, we put in some hard efforts on the way down the valley and as Torque mentioned, tried some attacks and even got some temporary gaps that we each had to close down. Thanks for the company. Thanks Levi for the efforts to put things together it was a great balance of teaching, fellowship and cycling. Couldn't ask for more. Ciao.
Post a Comment