The "Mystery Ride" was a good idea Jens! I liked the spontaneity of it. So it was Jens, Torque, Rabbit, Wolfeman, and myself. Original thought was to go south, but ended up going north along the coast in an attempt to get some cooler air. (shorts and short sleeve top at 5:30 am and we were all breaking a sweat 5 minutes in....crazy how warm it was today!)
So we set out up Hwy 1 to Morro Bay at a nice pace , turned up Hwy 41 towards Aascadero and the climbing began. Nice steady climb, gradually getting steeper.....nothing too steep though. I tried to hang with Jens and Torque, but they kicked it in to high gear on each climb with a couple hundred feet to go and there was no chance to stay with those animals! Nice work boys. Once the climbing was done, and Jens and Torque got done with their phone conversations, we headed through Atascadero and Santa Margarita towards the grade at a steady tempo. Easy does it down the grade. Everyone made it down safely.....only one scary moment via yours truly. So I look down at my speed and see ~45mph and at the same time feel a steady thump in one of my tires. Not sure what it was I slowed down to ~20 to try to figure it out. A few seconds later....POP! My tire completely blew out and shredded. Luckily I had the prewarning to make me slow down or it could have been ugly! Rabbit came cruising back to make sure everything was ok, being that I was MIA, and within 30 seconds of sticking out my thumb to get a ride home, two cars pulled over to pick me up......very kind. Lesson learned = Listen to your bike and dont push the limits if something seems odd!
I believe the total mileage was about 47 and at an average of just under 19mph. Thanks for the ride Jens, very enjoyable once again!
Who's got Fridays ride call? MTB? (My roadie is now in the shop till Saturday). Until then...........
Levi
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That was a great ride this morning. I have lost a step or two with all my not so great eating of late. First time up 41 and it was sweet!
Post a Comment