Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday, June 25th Ride Report



We had a great ride today. Here are some random thoughts in no particular order.... Those present included Wolfman, Jens, Hobbit, Skippy, Levi, Tomahawk, and Torque. The grade up was nice and mellow. The grade down was preceded by a blown tire. That's 2 in a row on or near the grade. Thankful for no crashes related to tires. Side note here: I have heard tires need to be replaced every 500 to 1000. This would explain how Levi's and my rear tire both went bad around 900. Another trip to Art's we will make. Argh. 229 was smooth, fast, and long. We had mini groups who formed that were averaging between 25 and 29 all the way to Creston. Once again, I blew the sprint and Jens took the green jersey points. Had to be there to see how I accidentally set him up. While I have the excuse of not knowing where the city limit sign was as we approached Creston, 1) it was very visible, 2) it would not have mattered anyway. Note to self - I need to work on fast twitch muscles with Coach. Hobbit was really looking solid - glad to have him back. His mood swings are down and his riding is smooth and consistent. Wolfman, 5 pounds lighter since riding with "us", is in top form. He'd be another 5 lbs lighter if he shaved those hairy legs. Come on Wolf - set the example for Rabbit! Levi has found his step as he prepares for the 10KOM pitch to the wifey. Jens only has one pace (I think the power meter on his rear wheel is only used as an audible signaling device) and can change a flat in 90 seconds. Skippy is getting that intense, scary look as he prepares to ride his bike as his main form of transport this summer. Finally, Tom has sick sick form and mucho confidence on the descents ...what nickname can we give related to this?

Things that were different about the ride: 2 flats / 2 riders, coffee afterwards, met a fellow rider from the hood on the way down the grade, another new route for me, the need for duct tape inside a tire (I would have been calling Julie for a ride for sure. Thank you Jens), not having Rabbit out in front (he's in Catalina), wearing a girly head piece as the birthday rider (thank you Hobbit).

Pics to follow from Jens and / or Skippy.


3 comments:

Hobbit said...

MOOD SWINGS!?!?!? WHAT MOOD SWINGS?!?!?!?!?

I FINISHED MY ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASS WITH A C->>>>>>>THAT"S A PASSING GRADE, ISN'T IT!??!?!?!

Fun ride today guy!

slodocman said...

Great birthday ride today. Enjoyed the orange sunrise in Santa Margarita, the run in on 229 and into Creston is one of my favorites, I think we should make Torque always wear the headgear so he has an aerodynamic disadvantage and we can keep up with him. Happy Birthday Torque!!!.... Tom should be called the "falcon" as the primo descender. Kevin who joined us on the descent is known as the "Safety Buffalo" in the cycling community as he runs the city bicycle safety program. I will be referring any OneSource squirly riding to him.
Ciao

Clyde said...

loved the ride, especially comin into Creston. great great time.