Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wed AM ride report and Power data

Had a real nice ride this morning. Were in Endurance mode and generally kept the HR in Zones 1 and 2. Rabbit had a couple of surges to get some extra effort in and I enjoyed the draft of the "vortex" doc Morton. Download from the Powermeter shows the following:
Distance 42 miles, Avg spd 19.7, Avg HR 135, Avg Power 176 watts, Normalized Power 218 watts, Training Stress Score 122. Normalized Power is the "effort" of the ride. It takes into consideration the ups and downs of power. It is much harder to do a ride of average 200 watts where you do half the ride at 250 watts and half the ride at 150 watts than a ride where you ride constant at 200 watts. So NP is what we use to assess the intensity of the ride. Training Stress Score is a calculation of the NP and the distance or time and represents the overall dificulty of the ride.  So this ride comparing to the Mulholland ride Doc and I did last saturday at Men's retreat where we did the climbing and wind work with data as follows: Distance 44 miles, Avg speed 17.2 miles, Avg HR 150, Avg Power 185, Normalized Power 241, Training Stress 177. 
So... Despite a similar distance, a similar Average Power, the Normalized power and Training Stress is dramatically different.  I certainly feel the difference in the legs.
Great endurance ride. Fun race with the deer at the end of the ride and enjoyed the conversations.
Jens

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jens, that post is really technical. Not sure I got it... but keep it coming.

I like Doc's new name...Vortex. Doc was riding solid out there today. I tried and couldn't shake him. I smell sneakers and a trainer for sure.

Loved the ride today! One of my favs.

Levi said...

Jens - Thanks for the ride. If that is a "recovery" - "go easy before the race" pace, you are going to do well this weekend! There were a couple times I could tell you wanted to go chase the rabbit, but you did a good job resisting. Go get em this weekend....make us proud.

That deer was awesome!

I think I am still feeling the pull from being behind the "vortex"! Nice work Doc.

Levi

Wolfeman said...

I really tried to make it this morning, my alarm did not go off and when I woke at 5:25 I knew I could have only made it if I set up my bike last night. I also knew God wanted me to sleep at that point. Last night I got home from an exhausting 3 days taking care of my stroke laden father at 11 PM, and spent another bit of time with the Significant Other.

Wish you luck this weekend SLODOCMAN!

Scott 'doc' Morton said...

The vortex!? I'll just assume it's because of my great speed that a virtual vortex is created behind me! Ha! Glad I could be of service to you slight-built thin lads!